Saturday, October 4, 2008

New Favorite Granola Recipe

I love this recipe. It is fast, easy, delicious and healthy! Most home-made granola recipes require oil and lots of baking time in the oven, but this one is prepared right on the stove top

Dry-Roasted Granola
1 c. raw rolled oats
1/3 c. chopped nuts

1/3 c. sesame seeds
1/3 c. sunflower seeds
1/3 c. shredded coconut
1/3 c. wheat germ (if already toasted, wait a few minutes to add it to the roasting mixture)

1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. (heaping) salt

1. In a large skillet (original recipe said cast-iron works best; I used a non-stick with great results) place the oats and nuts. Turn teh heat to medium-low, and stir them constantly for 5 minutes as they begin to roast.
2. Add the following 4 ingredients (plus or minus whatever you prefer in your granola) and keep roasting them for 8-10 more mintues, stirring the whole time.
3. Sprinkle the brown sugar and salt into the mixture. Cook for 2-5 more mintues, still stirring. Remove from heat, cool, and store in an airtight container.

The brown sugar melts a bit, coating the granola. This recipe is a perfect mix of sweet and slightly salty and truly great. The first time I made this, I added some honey because I wanted my granola to be a bit chunkier, but I wasn't pleased with the results.

2 comments:

carol said...

This is very good. I spent two days looking for a granola recipe without oil then remembered you had one from a while ago. Went to your blog and there it was staring me in the face. Saved me from more frustration. Great with yogurt and fresh berries. Thanks!!!

www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com said...

PERFECT I am also trying this one! Wow I know too many comments (wait we all love that right?). I just keep finding amazing recipes! Thanks Kristy from www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com