Saturday, November 21, 2009

Citrus Cottage Cheese Rolls

These light and delicious rolls are a great alternative to cinnamon rolls for a warm dessert or winter breakfast. My husband was skeptical about the cottage cheese, but he really enjoyed them and when asked if I should make them again replied, "definitely." They have a light citrus flavor to them that goes wonderfully with the dried cranberries and fluffy texture. Enjoy!

Rolls
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 c. warm milk
2 tsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. honey
1 egg
Zest from one lemon
3/4 tsp. salt
3 c. flour (I used 1 c. whole wheat, but they were so light and fluffy that I think next time I will try using 2 c. whole wheat)

Filling
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/2 c. honey
pinch of salt
Zest from one lemon
1/2 c. dried cranberries


1. I used a bread maker, so I just added all the ingredients for the rolls and set the timer for the dough to be finished raising when we woke up in the morning. If you don't have a bread maker, just make bread dough as usual: proof yeast, mix together ingredients, knead for 10 minutes, let raise until doubled.
2. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into a round roll. (NOTE: next time I make these I want to try making 24 so that there is a higher filling:roll ratio. You might wish to try the same.)
3. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet about one inch apart. Let the rolls rise for 10 minutes
4. Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the filling. Then press a dent into each roll using 3 fingers. Fill the dent with filling and let raise again for about 45 minutes.
5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Note: The original recipe came from Old World Breads by Charel Scheele, a great gift to me from my sister-in-law Becka. :) Thanks Becka.

No comments: