Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jello-Filled Cantaloupe

What a fun healthy treat for kids! I took a cantaloupe, halved it, removed the seeds and then filled it with jello and strawberries. I used Knox brand gelatin and white grape juice (and followed the recipe for "Knox Blocks" on the package, using just one packet of gelatin), but dyed it red because my daughter really wanted red jello. Once the gelatin was dissolved, I added frozen sliced strawberries (which really added to the flavor). Then, before pouring the mixture into the prepared cantaloupe halves, I chopped a little off the bottom of the cantaloupe to help it stand flat. Refrigerated until set, sliced it and enjoyed a fun family treat!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I will never eat jell-o again after it being the only food I was allowed to eat for three weeks (don't know if you follow my blog, but details are there about a complication from a thymectomy I had back in Feb if you're wondering why the only single absolute food I could eat was jell-o; and no, I didn't lose weight, I was hooked up to TPN during that time), but if I could look at jell-o again without feeling nauseous, I might have tried this.